Danish Moravian Mission
By Helge Rønnow
from the book Brødremenigheden – en levende tradition, side 77 f.
Published by Savanne 1980.
As far as known, was the first Danish Moravian Missionary Niels Krarup from Aalborg, who was sent to Suriname in 1746, where he served for 8 years. The diaspora work of theMoravian Church was, both before and after Christiansfeld's founding, not just a piece of internal mission, but also what we today would designate as a missionary's homework. This resulted in both financial support for missionary work and missionaries. Through Moravian Church, Danish missionaries have been sent to Nicaragua, Tanzania, Labrador, Suriname, Greenland, South Africa, Jerusalem, West Indies, Trankebar, Egypt, Australia and North American Indians.
In 1843, the hymn writer Niels Johannes Holm, who was then Danish pastor in Christiansfeld, founded Nordslesvigsk Missionsforening. The purpose was to support the mission work in the Moravian Church, including publishing a Danish-language mission journal.
The foundation of the Missionary Society meant a substantial recovery in the work, but not really any change in the structure. The Moravian Church has never formed special missionary communities. Based on the view that missionary work is a matter for a congregation, one has always sought to work through the existing churches and communities.
As far as mission work in the various mission areas was concerned, it was in all areas led by the mission board, which had a seat in Herrnhut. This center's ability to function was greatly reduced during World War I, and after the war, it was therefore sought to decentralize the work.
The management of Nordslesvigsk Missionsforening at that time had not only maintained old contacts with missionaries in Denmark but also prepared new activities, and these various circumstances caused the Nordslesvigsk Missionsforening in 1920 to become a missionary company.
The Danish Missionary Society of the Brotherhood
The name change to the Danish Moravian Mission (BDM) was not only a natural consequence of the reunification, but also quickly led to the company's board being given the main responsibility for mission work in West Tanganyika (now West Tanzania). Although, for some time, they continued to send missionaries to other mission areas, West Tanzania has since been BDM's area of responsibility within the mission of the Moravian Church. Since 1961, the Moravian Church of West Tanzania has been an independent unity within the Moravian Church, but BDM is still the organization within the entire Moravian Church Unity, which is responsible for obtaining the necessary support for the Church's work, as well as providing highly-needed support for missionaries the evangelizing and missionary work of the church.